Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Need a Helping Hand and First Bike Night


In an earlier post, I mentioned that when ever I do repairs to my motorcycle, if my neighbour does not stop me in time, the next thing you know is that I am loading it into the back of my pick-up truck and driving two hours to the London area for my brother to fix it.
Unfortunately, this is not limited to my motorbike. Last weekend I decided to change the oil in my truck. I could easily take it to a Quickie-Lube type of place, but hey, using wrenches, getting oil on your hands - makes you feel like a MAN. So I put the truck up on the ramps, climbed underneath and removed the drain plug - drained the oil - removed and then installed a new filter - filled the truck with oil - removed it from the ramps and re-rechecked the oil level - topped it up a bit - started the engine - everything sounded fine - closed the hood. CRAP - the hood won't close. Checked, rechecked, triple checked - nothing left behind - no reason for hood not to close but it won't close!!! It closes mostly but the latch will not latch. It turns out that the spring for the latch broke. Guess what - off to London to get my brothers to fix it. I tied it close with a bungee cord and took the back roads all the way to London taking 3 hours instead of the normal 2 hours. I had both my brothers working on it, plus my wife holding the flashlight and my mom came over to supervise. We (actually they) got it fixed!!!












We have started our Tuesday night biker nights. It is just a word of mouth thing and whomever wants to come is welcome. This Tuesday we had Louise and Mike on their new Harley, Mad Dog on his orange Harley, myself on my Suzuki 1500, and later Earl showed up with his Goldwing. We drove around a bit, then winded up at this nice bar in a small village called Chippawa on the very edge of Niagara Falls. We had a couple pitchers of draft beer, Dog had a diet Pepsi, and Louise was nursing some kind of pink girlie drink. We were exchanging stories of previous bike trips, and when Earl arrived, we were splitting our sides in laughter with the unlimited funny takes he tells. It was a great time for everyone and as the weather warms up, there will be more people attending. It is too bad there is only one Tuesday per week :(














4 comments:

  1. Looking good Tim! But...do not forget to let your feet touch the ground! Not while being on your bike afcours. We are at the moment camping in Holland. Rain, rain, rain.

    Greetings from Hedwig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hedwig,

    There have been lots of stories on our news this week about celebrations in Holland thanking Canada for efforts in the World War 2 to liberate Holland. Is this big news there or are they just blowing it up on this end?

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the guy in the hat ;)

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodmorning Tim!
    Yes, we have had the celebrations 4th may, remebrance of all who died in WW2. And 5th may the liberation of Holland. Big news here also. My husband and I are often going to the graves of the canadians in Groesbeek. This year was the 65th anniversary. Our queen was in Groesbeek with some of the veterans. Not many of them left afcourse. No, no blowing up. Really still very important here. Because there aren't many veterans left schoolchildren have adopted a grave each. So they take care of it during the rest of the year.

    Maybe on youtube some footage to find, Tim.

    Have a nice sunday!
    And Let's Keep Walking!

    ReplyDelete