Monday, April 5, 2010

Back to Normal



People have written me from all over the world telling me to not feel bad that I did not finish walking the Camino and wishing me good thoughts. I thank all of you very much and just want to let you know that I feel fine. One veteran walker told me that a lot of people do not finish - they just don't tell anyone. I thought about that, for a few brief moments - letting people think that I was successful - but - that would not be me.

People have also asked that I keep my blog going. Some find it an interesting read and others think it is funny. I sure hope that they are laughing with me and not at me :)

We had an awesome weekend weather wise in Southern Ontario. Temperatures reached 28C (82F) on Friday and Saturday, and was a more moderate 18C on Easter Sunday. Our normal temperature for this time of year is closer to 10C.

I have walked everyday but one since I have been back. I was getting shin splints in my left leg so I took last Tuesday off. Wednesday the shin splints were back again. Guess what? I discovered that by tying my hiking boots looser, I don't get the shin splints at all!!! So they were never shin splints but more to do with circulation. I thought that tighter boots would give me better support and prevent blisters by less movement of the foot in the boot. I guess you have to weigh one advantage over the other. As for blisters, I have found that using the Vaseline, then a sock liner, followed by a wicking sock has done the trick - at least for the shorter distances. I have been walking mostly 4.5 miles each time.

Yesterday I spent a few hours polishing my motorcycle. It has been stored in the garage all winter. It is a 1500 cc Suzuki Intruder, or as I call it, a Harley look-a-like. It was fun taking it for a ride when I was done. There were a lot of bikes out yesterday. In the background is the upper Niagara River, about 3 miles from the famous Niagara Falls.

I am thinking of returning back to work this week and saving the rest of my vacation for the warmer summer months. Today is a government holiday (Easter Monday) so we all have it off.

I will update this blog from time to time, and should I suggest that I am thinking of heading to the Camino again, you all, as my friends - have permission to shoot me.

Tim

7 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have seen my little pic by my name on the left under followers, but that was a little joke between us.
    Keep it up Tim and think about planning a good bike ride.

    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tim,

    Yes, that's the spirit! Enjoying outdoor life and keep up your walking! Stay in contact and if or when you are going back to the Camino, you will have a lot of support! I for one, will not shoot you!

    Greetings from Holland.
    Hedwig

    ReplyDelete
  3. Won't shoot you at all WHEN you return to the Camino :-) !

    You're doing a great thing by keeping up with your training! Who knows when the Camino will call you again, right?

    Enjoy your bike and the great weather!

    lynne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful bike!

    I'm so happy you're still walking!

    HOORAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tim,
    Nobody's going to shoot you for taking another stab go at the camino if that's what you want to do - but nobody's going to shoot you if you don't either. It sounds like you're out there living your life and having some fun.
    Interesting about the boot laces isn't it. Getting that balance seems to be the thing.
    Enjoy the walking and bike riding.
    Cecelia from the rainy west coast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see that you're still writing. Enjoy the beautiful weather on your motorbike. You're so lucky to live near the falls. We go through Canada on our way to Boston every now and then and we never tire of their beauty.

    ReplyDelete