Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Had to Return Home

I went home. Back to Canada.


I never recovered from attempting to walk over the top of the Prynesses mountains. I never recovered from the walking all day in the rain. I never recovered from a backpack that was already too heavy, being heavier from the rain soaking into it. I never recovered from my sore back which I injured prior to going - I thought the pains would just go away but they only got worst.


I regret not being able to finish. I regret not being able to meet people like Cullen and Palma, David, or others I had talked to on various Internet sites, who are on the trail now. I regret not walking with the Irish couple Billy and his wife Christine. I regret letting my family, followers, and colleagues from work, down.






I cherish that for the first time in my life, I got to go to Europe. I cherish that I got to see France (other than the houses, rural France looks a lot like rural Canada). I cherish that I got to be in St Jean Pied de Port, and at least got a small taste of what being a pilgrim is like. I cherish that I got to be in Paris, and in London, and got the chance to take the high speed train under the English channel (through the tube).



I am tempted to go back and try again. I still have lots of time off of work. But perhaps that would be foolish, and expensive.


I will add some remaining pictures to this post. This will be my last post. If anyone wants to contact me directly, my e-mail is tim.bilton@yahoo.ca

Thanks for all of your support. It was really appreciated.

Tim






9 comments:

  1. Only a fool would let his pride lead him on when his heart tells him to stop.
    Your very brave for attempting this journey and very wise for knowing when to stop.
    You have nothing to be ashamed of and I am proud to be your brother.

    Biker Brother Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim -
    No shame, no regret. You touched and experienced the adventure of your life. You will return when the time is right. You stopped when the time was right for you. You made a lot of camino friends who advised and supported you from the beginning. Well done for the attempt!

    You dared to make the attempt. That is victory in itself!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Tim, maybe it wasn't just the right time yet. If you have back problems I doubt that going soon would be the best idea....but there might come another time. You have the gear..... so maybe once your back is less sore you can start training by walking again through your upcoming summer. Maybe another time. And for now, enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tim!

    Again, like on the Santiago Forum wise words from all! Keep those in mind!
    Hope you are well! And don't sell your shoes yet!

    Hedwig

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm impressed that you would even consider trying this type of adventure. I think I would have turned around when I saw the mountain :) I really believe things happen for a reason, right now may just not be the right time. Enjoy some time off, life is way to short for regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim,

    You are a courageous man! Exactly, don't sell your shoes yet!
    Keep posting, be it here or on the forum. I for one love your posts.
    SabineP

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are wise to stop now. I remember the same feelings when I could not longer walk my first Camino. But the Camino is calling you, and you can't take that money with you. So if you want to try again.. TRY AGAIN! Like falling off a horse. This time you'll not only be wiser, and stronger, you will know what you face.

    Maybe you could hire someone to carry your pack.
    Maybe you could start walking at home now to get ready.

    And the best thing of all...

    YOU WILL HAVE ALREADY CROSSED THE PYRANEES... you can start on the other side; the rest is easy!

    So rest up, and if you really want to go back, then I'd say GO FOR IT!

    I did, and it was very satisfying to pick up the stages I missed.

    I think you made the right decision for you at the time... Follow your inner guide and your heart and you can't go wrong!

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, I'd make plans to go in 2011 AFTER the Holy Year. It will be quieter.

    Keep posting Tim...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tim, I am in the planning stages, but all I can say to you is, if the time wasn't right, then the time wasn't right. Plan for the future, you've already done the Pyranees, which I understand is the hardest part.....go for it in the future. You can do it, just choose the right time for you.

    ReplyDelete