Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I am not alone..................



I am not alone...........................

I have been training since I got this idea of walking the Camino last October. As I have already mentioned, I was 300 lbs and looking for a way to turn things around. I live in a rural area, about 15 minutes outside of the skyscrapers and 10’s of thousands of tourists of Niagara Falls.
For my walk in Spain, I am going alone, but I will not be alone. My training walks have all been the same - by myself but I was never alone. You see, on most days, there were several oversized red-tail hawks circling high above me, wondering what this nut was up to. About a half mile from my house, there is a horse with only one eye. He has to tilt his head on the most awkward angle in order to follow me walking by his field. There are often flocks of wild turkeys who carefully keep an eye on me as I walk by them, as well as flocks of Canadian geese who honk so much I think I am back in the traffic jams of Toronto. There are large dogs (on chains, thankfully), squirrels, chipmunks, and sometimes cats. Last week there was a dead skunk (phew).
Let me tell you for a moment about the coyotes. We have several in this rural area – you can often hear them at night when a train goes by, or just when they call each other. One day I got home from work at 5 pm, and I thought that if I got out on the road right away, I could sneak in a 4.5 mile walk. At about the 2 mile mark, the dusk had turned to darkness. Because my walks are large loop patterns, I had no choice but to keep walking. There was no shortcut home. The darker it got, the more I suspected that I was being watched, maybe even followed, by the coyotes. I never saw one during this walk, but it was the quickest 4.5 mile walk I had ever done.
So you can see that although I do my training walks alone, I am never alone. I suspect that the walk on the camino will be the same.

1 comment:

  1. It is true. I walked alone, but never felt alone. Pilgrims meet, if you want to talk you talk, if not, you walk.

    ReplyDelete