Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sharp Dressed Man

I now have PANTS! Yes, you are reading correct, the pants have arrived. Well, I had to go and get them. Last time I ordered them from Boston they took about three weeks to get here, being held up in Customs for about 10-12 days. When I sent them back because they were too small, I could not risk waiting that long again. So although I have lived on the Canadian side of the border to the United States for the past 12 years, I have never set up a USA post box.


Desperate times calls for desperate measures. I set one up last week. The pants (two pairs) were finally shipped out of Boston on Friday. They said that they sent me an e-mail confirming the pants were shipped but I never received it. I called them again on Monday and they gave me a tracking number. The pants arrived in on the USA side of Niagara Falls late Monday afternoon. I went over there today, paid $5 for the service, and proceeded to the border. I declared to the border guard what I was taking into Canada (we have to pay duty and taxes if we were not out of the Country for 48 hours but the guards can waive this fee if they are in a good mood). The guard thought for a moment, and then said, "Have a nice day". No duties, no taxes, no hassle. Almost too easy. I could of likely snuck them back over but I am too close to retirement to be messing around with that kind of stuff and I'd rather pay the duty if I have to.


So, I have two pairs of Columbia Titanium hiking pants - lightweight, water resistant, pockets everywhere, and they convert into shorts. I have gone from a pantless pilgrim to one of the sharpest dressed men on the trail. The Camino really does look after you, and I am not even there yet!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the pants Tim-you won't regret the purchase even if they get wet in the rain they dry out in a few minutes.
    Bonne route
    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Tim. Glad you have that sorted. Now, just take it easy starting out, and build into it all gradually. Looking forward to hearing more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for that! After reading your previous posts out loud to him, my husband has become interested in your blog as well. We're both looking forward to reading more in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Tim!

    Better late, then never! (We say in Holland)
    Your pants look smart! That should do it, I think.
    The great enjoying can begin!

    Hedwig

    ReplyDelete