Thursday, March 11, 2010

Only One Week Left

I have not trained since last Sunday. I made the decision to allow my body to heal from the workouts, especially my feet. I walked 10 miles last Wednesday using new heel inserts in my boots, trying to protect a bruised heel. The inserts tore my heels apart, leaving me with a very large blister on my right heel, a few smaller ones on the other side of the same foot, and a couple of smaller blisters on my left foot. So out with the heel inserts.

Last Sunday I walked with new full length gel inserts. I only went 4.5 miles as my feet were still tender from the 10 mile blister disaster. There were no problems.

Today I spent some time gathering the smaller supplies that I need for the Camino. I had already purchased the boots, the sleeping bag, and the backpack. But I still needed to get a headlamp, safety pins, rope (to hang myself if the walk becomes too painful), batteries for my one luxury item, my CD player, small toiletries, a rain cover for my pack.

I finally broke down and purchased some walking sticks. Zillions of posts on the Internet swear by them - they say that they will save your knees and your hips, can be used to fend off wild dogs and other savage beasts, and can double as a clothes line. So what the heck - I now have some.

What I don't have yet is pants!!!! Those who have been following me on the Camino website know the trouble that I was having in finding technical pants that fit me. Finally someone put me in touch with a company near Boston who specialize in 'extended' sizes. I like that term. To make a long story short, I finally got them last Wednesday, tried them on, and they were too small. So I sent them back and after watching the Canada Post tracking system say that they were still in Canada after 3 days, I called the Boston company directly this past Wednesday. There is a very friendly lady there who said that she would send me two pairs of replacement pants right away, and would e-mail me the tracking number. Two days later I have not heard back from her, nor do I have a tracking number. So I am going to call her tomorrow because having the proper pants is a make or break for the sucess of my walk. Otherwise, I will have to take my toga!!!!


6 comments:

  1. Good luck Tim! The first days are tough if you start from SJPP, but a Canadian like you will do fine.

    Newfydog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, you better get some pants!! We are chilling with the kids in NYC. Monday is just around the corner. Buen Camino Hombre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Tim,

    Buen Camino Tim! Be safe and keep warm! But most of all: Enjoy! This is it, you are starting your great adventure! I will be following you on your blog. God bless!
    Greetings from Holland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Doug,

    Being a Canadian, certianly if there is snow there, I will be used to it. I heard that they have had a tough winter over there, and everything is snowy and icey. I was thinking of taking my hockey skates and skating down the Pyrenees Mountains

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buen Camino Tim. I enjoyed reading this entry. Your comment about the rope made me chuckle. I'll look forward to reading about your progress as I continue to prepare for my trip next month. All the best to you!

    Marita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marita,

    I am having second thoughts now about taking the rope. If others get a hold of it, they might hang me!!!!

    ReplyDelete