Thursday, March 18, 2010

Only One Sleep Left!!!!!


I am flying out of Toronto tomorrow, landing in London on Saturday morning - changing airports - then flying to Biarritz, France - taking the bus to Bayonne - and then hopefully catching the last bus to St Jean Pied de Port if I can make it in time. I think I have about 50 minutes from the time I arrive in Bizarritz to the time that the bus leaves Bayonne.


I packed my pack last night for the first time. It weighs 22lbs but is filled to the brim and I need to remove some items. I will do that tonight before I head to bed.
I have been training since October but actually announced to family and colleagues at work three weeks ago that I was postponing my trip until next Fall or maybe even next Spring of 2011 as I was not ready. But two things happened shortly after I made that decision to defer, to make me change my mind. The first thing was that my 93 year grandfather passed away. When visiting my grandfather as often as I could over the past year, he kept telling me, over and over - "You can never get time back". I take that as meaning to do what you need to do now because you may not get a chance later.

The second reason for going now is that although the postponement gave me relief, it only lasted about half of a day. The Camino came back at me, hit me twice at hard, and in some weird sort of way, is pulling me there. There is an old expression that says "that it is easy to quit" but I have tried quitting - the Camino will not allow it. I know that sounds 'dorky', and some people will suspect that the water I am drinking has gone bad, but it is true. That is why I am walking the Camino now. It won't let me go and it will haunt me until I do it.
I will leave one more post tomorrow before I leave for the airport - then the postings will be sporadic as I will have to search for Internet cafes along the way.



2 comments:

  1. Try and sleep well tonight Tim!!! And then when you start walking, take it gently to start with. It is a long way, and the rabbit got no prizes in his race against the tortoise. Your feet will get tender and sore at the beginning, but after about ten days hopefully your brain will just tell the feet to stop complaining cos you are going to keep walking anyhow! All the best, Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 500% with Kiwi... go SLOW.. this is not a race... don't worry about getting a bed... and for goodness sakes, take a cab if you need to or walk only half a stage if you're weary... especially the first week. You'll be exhausted the first 3 or 4 days, then suddenly, energy will kick in. Don't give up... this is a wonderful thing you're doing!

    ReplyDelete